Oceanside Malibu Addiction Treatment Center
21022 Pacific Coast Hwy , Malibu, California, 90265
Addiction is a complex issue and no single treatment approach is going to work for everyone. That is why a full spectrum support approach is so important. We believe that to ensure long-lasting recovery, addiction treatment must meet each person’s unique needs. While some patients can be served by counseling alone, others may require medications to overcome their addiction. Clients who arrive at Oceanside are valued, supported, and recognized as unique persons who are capable of change. Our multidisciplinary team of licensed and highly skilled professionals includes: psychiatrists, psychologists, medical providers, nurses, nutritionists, exercise physiologists, master-level therapists, substance use counselors, sober coaches and specialty counselors. Boasting the highest staff to client ratio found anywhere, the team at Oceanside have the experience to also recognize when addiction is not the only issue. It’s a fact that many people can turn to substance abuse as a form of self-medication from other disorders such as anxiety, depression, personality disorders, trauma and the like. In order to achieve a healthy, successful and long-lasting recovery, these underlying issues will be addressed during the rehabilitation process. In addition to treating substance use disorders, we also provide assessment and treatment of process addictions such as video game addiction, online gaming, compulsive gambling, non-suicidal self-injury, and eating disorders. Our full spectrum support approach to treating co-occurring disorders allows us to help our clients recognize patterns of addiction and manage triggers more effectively in recovery.
- Private Oceanfront Rooms
- Malibu Beach Location
- Private Chef On Site
- Highest Staff To Client Ratio In The Industry
- Dual Diagnosis Treatment And IMS Certification
- 24 Hour Addiction Helpline
Dual DiagnosisAlso referred to as Co-Occurring Disorder. We have a full time World Class Psychiatrist on staff. Since we have our IMS Certification, this allows our Doctors to have an office On Site! Our clinical team is fully trained and prepared to help clients that are suffering from addiction along with a Mental Health diagnosis.
Medically Assisted TreatmentMany advances have been made in the world of Medicine. Many of our clients have struggled with addiction for many years and have had little or very limited success with treatment programs. In some cases Medically Assisted Treatment or MAT may be a good option. Although not the best course for everyone, we have seen excellent results in many. Clients can meet with the Medical and Clinical staff to determine what is the best course of action
EMDREye movement desensitization and reprocessing is a form of psychotherapy in which the person being treated is asked to recall distressing images; the therapist then directs the patient in one type of bilateral stimulation, such as side-to-side eye movements or hand tapping. This therapy is based on the idea that negative thoughts, feelings and behaviors are the result of unprocessed memories. This form of treatment has achieved positive results for clients dealing with severe trauma and complex issues
Equine TherapyEquine-assisted therapy (EAT) encompasses a range of treatments that involve activities with horses and other equines to promote human physical and mental health. The use of EAT has roots in antiquity, and EAT applies to physical health issues in modern form dates to the 1960s. Modern use of horses for mental health treatment dates to the 1990s
Executive Treatment ProgramsOceanside Malibu inpatient program is a 5 thousand square foot 6 bed facility. We choose to remain small and offer a very intimate setting. For those who require the utmost anonymity we can absolutely accommodate. We are able to provide private rooms with private bathrooms for each person admitted to our Executive Program
Family SystemsWe offer a Family Systems treatment modality for all of our clients that wish to participate. Our team can include family sessions by phone, or Skype, or in person. This is contingent upon the client wishing to participate and all appropriate HIPPAA compliant forms must be signed.
- Beach Community
Meet the Staff
- Dave JohnsonDirectorDave Johnson developed Oceanside with a vision of creating a safe harbor for those to come to in recovery that would allow them to gain the skills needed for long term sobriety. Dave’s approach is very hands on as clients and family members not only see him on an almost daily basis at the facility but also know they can reach him by cell phone at any time. Dave’s passion for working with people has been a core part of who he is his whole life.While Dave has worked in the entertainment industry as a producer his real love has always been life coaching. Many clients joke about their “talks with Dave” as they know there is no time limit as Dave will spend whatever time is necessary to truly help someone through a crisis. One of the things that makes Oceanside different than all other sober livings is the amount of time that Dave spends with family members either on the phone or in person helping to work through current difficulties and educate and help families understand the process of recovery. Dave has flown across the country on an hours notice to pick up a client that needs help. Dave has also flown home with clients at the end of their stay at their request to help ease the first few days transition back home as this can often be a stressful time. Whether Dave is diving for lobsters with clients, snorkeling, kayaking or sitting on the deck talking you will always find that his heart and energy is always focused on helping set clients up to be successful by guiding them diligently through the early recovery process. Dave is known for being a straight shooter and telling clients and families the truth of what he sees. Dave also developed a resident trust program to help clients learn to manage money often for the first time in their lives. Many past clients have credited Dave for saving their lives as he has done interventions where he has literally picked them up off the floor and taken them to detox. Dave is acutely aware that addiction is a life and death issue and treats it accordingly. Dave has run process groups at a rehab in Malibu as well as leading groups at an in-patient detox unit. His education and training allows him to teach clients about the path that is most likely to lead to a successful outcome. Dave’s cell phone is constantly ringing as clients that have returned to all parts of the country continue to call him regularly to seek his advice and guidance. Dave truly makes a lifelong commitment to each client and will continue to help support them long after they leave sober living. While Oceanside could easily hold a dozen clients Dave continues to limit the number of clients in the facility so that he can give each one his individualized attention.
- Kathryn Johnson LMFT LPCCClinical DirectorKathryn Johnson is a licensed psychotherapist that is passionate about her work with those in recovery. She has worked as a therapist at some of the major rehabs in Malibu helping guide clients through detox, early recovery and working with their families. Kathryn is known for her incredible compassion. She has also worked as a clinical director of an adolescent in patient psychiatric unit for 5 years. Her background of working with clients, other therapists, and psychiatrists brings a wealth of knowledge to those in the early stages of recovery. Unlike other drug rehabilitation centers that focus exclusively on the 12 steps Kathryn recognizes the importance of making sure clients receive treatment for underlying issues that are key to maintaining sobriety and preventing relapse. She works with clients in helping them embrace the recovery process and make use of all the resources available to them. Kathryn had a vision of opening a facility that would provide intensive, individualized care and would teach clients the skills they need for long term sobriety. She has often described going from a 30 day rehab and then back home as going from elementary school to college. After many months of qualitative studying she found that the relapse rate from primary treatment was extremely high. Only a very small percentage of people leave primary treatment and stay sober. From working at some of the best facilities in Malibu herself she realized that while the primary treatment at these facilities was outstanding, that the facility itself was not designed to help people deal with real life stressors and every day situations that cause clients to relapse. Her vision of opening a home that provides the serenity of being right on the ocean, the stability of working with well trained staff, and a family like environment where clients could learn to be honest for the first time in their lives has become a reality. Our alumni continue to come back and visit us today and are very grateful for all the lessons they learned while at our sober living. Kathryn is very proud of our volunteer programs that our clients have worked at including feeding the homeless, working with at risk kids, delivering meals to shut ins, and helping abandoned animals find homes. She knows the importance on not just getting sober but learning how to stay sober by finding passion in your life, feeling like your making a difference in the world in your chosen area of interest, obtaining a strong support structure through 12 step, therapists and doctors, and finding out how to have sober fun. She has found that so many treatment programs or sober livings want to feel that they are “right” and have the one secret that will keep you sober. From much research she has found that it is a combination of many things that helps to insure lifelong sobriety. That is what Oceanside is- a place to put the pieces together to find out who you are and how to really live a great life sober.
- Mark Frankle LMFTLead TherapistMark started in the field of mental health 30 years ago tending to the needs of the chronically mental ill. Mark believes the core of our profession is to relieve the suffering and heartbreak of people trying to cope with the worst moments of their lives. Struggling to overcome life’s tragedies can overwhelm are emotional wellbeing and cause greater burdens. He also believes through successfully healing that pain, we can find hope and strength. Mark’s professional philosophy combines encouragement and understanding, with psychotherapeutic techniques and skill building. Each client’s experience is unique, and their treatment is uniquely created to meet their particular goals. His experience spans a wide array of emotional and psychological difficulties, but the focus of his practice is primarily working with people suffering from the pain of grief, trauma, and substance addiction. Of all the psychotherapeutic techniques he employs, EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) is often the most powerful in relieving the painful effects of a variety traumas. EMDR is effective in treating traumatic events that happened in childhood and for recent events. EMDR was first developed in 1988 and is supported by more than 30 controlled studies. EMDR is a recognized by the National Institute of Health as an evidence-based treatment.
- Dr. Litos MallareMedical DirectorDr. Litos O Mallare, MD is a doctor primarily located in Los Angeles, CA, with other offices in Malibu, CA and Beverly Hills, CA. He has 23 years of experience. His specialties include Neurology, Psychiatry. Dr. Mallare graduated from the American University of The Caribbean School of Medicine in 1997. He works in Los Angeles, CA and 2 other locations and specializes in Neurology and Psychiatry. Dr. Mallare is affiliated with Barlow Respiratory Hospital.