“After assessing a patient with third-year psychiatric students and developing a comprehensive treatment plan, we were informed of the patient’s long-standing alcohol abuse, which never entered our minds. It was at this time that I realized how deficient our medical training was in regard to substance use issues and I set on the path to remedy it.”
Dr. Lawrence Weinstein, MD, ABHM, FASAM, FAMA, was appointed chief medical officer of AAC in August 2018. He is an accomplished physician executive with more than 20 years’ experience in managed behavioral healthcare. In addition to his extensive senior leadership background, he also delved into private practice, where he provided individual and group diagnostic psychotherapeutic services, family therapy and addiction psychiatry.
Dr. Weinstein has always been fascinated by the mysteries of the mind, and throughout his career, he’s explored different avenues to solve them. His career began in psychoanalysis, which allowed him to develop a deeper appreciation and understanding of the unconscious mind. This work led him to do research in psychoneuroimmunology. It was this research in how the brain impacts the immune system, and the connection of the brain to the rest of the body, that solidified his belief in mind-body connection and furthered his interest in providing a holistic approach to illness and treatment.
Throughout his career, Dr. Weinstein has set the standard for clinical and operational excellence, physician management and driving technology solutions that support clinical innovation. He brings this experience and an unwavering commitment to patient care to his role as AAC’s chief medical officer, where he oversees medical operations for all facilities and supervises the medical staff to ensure the highest quality of care.
Dr. Weinstein’s quest to learn is not limited to his time at work. In his spare time, he enjoys learning about different world cultures, exploring new places and traveling in general. His other passions include downhill skiing and boating. Being in the mountains or on the water is the best way for him to recharge and refocus.
Credentials and Education
- Psychiatry residency – Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center, Chicago, IL
- Internal Medicine, Neurology and Psychiatry Internship – Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center, Chicago, IL
- Medical School – Kiev Medical Institute, Kiev Ukraine
- Medical School – Ross University School of Medicine, New York, NY
- Board-Certified – Diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Board-Certified – Diplomate of American Board of Addiction Medicine
- American Medical Association
- American Psychiatric Association
- American Society of Addiction Medicine
- American Associations for Physician Leadership
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Addiction Psychiatry
- Clinical Management
Books, Publications and other Media:
- Managing Obstacles to Improved Outcomes in Depression – A Collaborative Approach to Improved Care; Managed Care Magazine (MOOD Supplement), Oct., 2006 Lawrence M. Weinstein, MD:, Chalmers Armstrong M.D
- Implications of Depression: The Payer Perspective; Lawrence M. Weinstein, MD: Chalmers Armstrong M.D.; April, 2006
- OnTrakTM Relapse Prevention Program Therapist Guide; Radujko-Moore, R.E., Jack, T.C., Weinstein, L.M.; Los Angeles: Catasys®, Inc. (2008). (in press)
OnTrakTM Relapse Prevention Program Workbook; Radujko-Moore, R.E., Jack, T.C., Weinstein, L.M.; Los Angeles: Catasys®, Inc. (2008). (in press)
- Application of Multivariate Probabilistic (Bayesian) Networks to Substance Use Disorder Risk Stratification and Cost Estimation; Lawrence Weinstein, MD, ABHM; Todd Radano; Timothy Jack, MD; Philip Kalina, MS; and John S. Eberhardt III; Perspectives in Health Information Management 6, Fall 2009
- Scientific Rationale and Safety of the Prometa® Treatment Program; Lawrence M. Weinstein, MD, Timothy Jack, MD, Donald R. Wesson, MD, Sanjay Sabnani; Feb. 2007
- Cutting smoking rate through coaching; Benefits magazine, Volume 49, Number 10, October 2012, pages 34-3
Featured Expert In