Alcohol Addiction Treatment Programs for Men
While alcohol use disorders can affect anybody, men and women may experience these types of addictions in different ways. Men are statistically more likely to drink excessively and misuse other substances.1 Luckily rehab programs specialized for men can yield positive results. Alcohol addiction rehab programs for men can help address the specific struggles men face when trying to recover from addiction.
Alcohol Use Among Men
Men are more likely to binge drink than women and are involved in more alcohol-related hospitalizations than women.1 Out of all the deaths related to excessive drinking, more than 75% of them are among men.1 In 2017, the death rate from alcohol-related cirrhosis was nearly double for men than for women. 2 Narrowing Gender Gaps Among fatal vehicle accidents, men were 50% more likely to have been intoxicated than women in the same situation. 1 Narrowing Gender Gaps Excessive alcohol consumption can lead to increased aggressive behavior, and alcohol is a main influence involved in sexual violence. 1
In some cases, societal expectations of masculinity could influence certain drinking behaviors. 3 Masculine Norms
Alcohol Rehab Programs for Men
Alcohol rehab for men may be similar to programs offered to the general public, though they may be more tailored toward the specific recovery needs of men.4 Treatment-Seeking Behaviors in Men (page 28) Some men may feel threatened or otherwise uncomfortable seeking help for or entering treatment for substance use. 4 Treatment-Seeking Behaviors in Men (page 28) As such, treatment providers may need to understand and adapt their behavioral therapeutic approach to account for this hesitation.
Men’s drug and alcohol addiction treatment programs may include different levels of treatment that incorporate several elements of care. Some treatments provided for alcohol treatment for men may include:
- Detoxification: A medically supervised detoxification involves various interventions to keep an individual safe and comfortable while the body rides itself of harmful substances.4(page 101) Due to potentially severe alcohol withdrawal symptoms or withdrawal related complications, many undergo medical detox for safety reasons.
- Group therapy: Group therapy provides an environment where patients can learn social skills and offer each other support. 4 (page 103) Additionally, many men’s rehab programs may provide single-gender support groups. 4 (page 103)
- Individual therapy: Various types of individual therapy, such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectic behavior therapy (DBT), and motivational interviewing (MI) may make up an important part of men’s rehab programs. 4 (page 106)
- Family or couples therapy: This type of therapy helps maintain a relationship with their spouse and family during recovery. 4 (page 107)
Alcohol rehab for men may take place in different types of treatment settings, including inpatient/residential or outpatient settings, and may be followed up with various aftercare programs for continued recovery work. Residential inpatient treatment involves living at the rehab facility and receiving around-the-clock care. 4 (116) Outpatient care is often used as a follow-up to inpatient treatment, and allows patients to live at home and work while attending treatment. 4 (115) Additionally, there are various types of outpatient treatment programs, like partial hospitalization programs and intensive outpatient programs, that can provide patients with more intensive care while still living at home or other sober environment. Aftercare programs offer ongoing recovery resources for patients who are getting sober or who are trying to remain sober.
Benefits of Gender-Specific Alcohol Rehab for Men
There are many benefits of men having their own gender-specific rehab for alcohol recovery. Some of the main reasons gender-specific treatment may be right for you include: 4 pages 103-104
- Men’s group therapy can provide patients with a more egalitarian, open environment for sharing emotions and reflecting on one’s behaviors, in stark contrast to potentially competitive and hierarchical male peer groups.
- Many men are socially conditioned to only share emotions with women, and men’s treatment can help spark a reexamination of these beliefs and behaviors.
- Men’s treatment can help kindle an appreciation of community and sharing in patients.
- Men’s treatment can help to improve communication skills in male patients.
How to Find an Alcohol Rehab Program for Men
If you are searching for an alcohol treatment program that is most suitable for men, you can always start by asking your doctor for help finding the program best for you. You may also search a treatment database by using the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service Administration (SAMHSA) treatment locator. You may search by location, such as zip code, though you may also apply filters to narrow the search to specific attributes you are looking for in a treatment facility.
Addiction helplines can also help you find a treatment facility and can provide you with information about addiction treatment. American Addiction Centers (AAC) operates a 24/7 helpline that can connect you with compassionate professionals. Our staff can help answer your questions about addiction treatment, verify your insurance, and connect you with rehab centers to fit your treatment needs. Don’t delay, call us today at to get started.
American Addiction Centers maintains a strong partnership with a large group of insurance companies at our addiction treatment facilities. Start the journey to recovery and find out instantly using the form below if your health insurance provider may be able to cover all or part of the cost of rehab and associated therapies.
American Addiction Centers (AAC) is committed to delivering original, truthful, accurate, unbiased, and medically current information. We strive to create content that is clear, concise, and easy to understand.
While we are unable to respond to your feedback directly, we'll use this information to improve our online help.